There’s something about the smell of pancakes cooking on a Saturday morning that gets everyone up and immediately hungry. For those who love eating them, and for those who prepare them, this is the recipe for you.
These are known as the very best gluten free blueberry pancakes because they really are! They’re light, fluffy, perfectly balanced with delicious ingredients and no one will even know they’re gluten free. That’s how good they are.
Here are some tips to ensure you have the best blueberry pancakes ever:
Whisk the eggs
Whisking the eggs is really important to mouthwatering pancakes. Use a wire whisk and make sure the yolks and the whites are fully incorporated to the point of being fluffy. They should be closer to pale yellow.
Adjust the heat
Cooking pancakes has always been one of my biggest challenges – but now, after much trial and error, I believe I’ve mastered it. Well, getting closer anyway! If the pancakes are getting too brown on the bottom, lower the heat (keep it at least low-medium though). If they are still too brown, see the next tip…
Lift the pancakes
This is more of a little trick. Try lifting the pancakes off the griddle every few seconds to prevent the bottoms getting too brown. The insides will still keep cooking but the bottoms will not be on the direct heat for so long.
Keep them warm
Pancakes are best served warm, so if you’re cooking for a crowd, this can be a challenge. To ensure nice hot pancakes for everyone, keep them in preheated oven. Preheat your oven to 200 and prepare a pan by lining it with foil. As you take the pancakes off the griddle, place them on the pan, slightly overlapping them. Cover with foil and store them in the oven until ready to serve.
Dairy free? Sure!
Good news – these pancakes can easily be made dairy free. Just replace the milk with almond or coconut milk and you have a dairy free and gluten free blueberry pancake!
A warm pancake with a dollop of syrup is a great way to start the day. Don’t worry about waking anyone up – they’ll smell them soon enough!
The Very Best Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes
Yield: 6 pancakes
¾ cup milk – at least 2% fat
1 tbsp. honey
1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ cup + 1 tbsp. coconut flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
Pinch of cinnamon
½ cup fresh blueberries
1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with a wire whisk for 1 minute.
2. Add in the milk, honey, lemon juice and vanilla extract to the eggs and whisk for another minute.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flours and mix well.
4. While whisking the egg mixture, gradually add in the flour mixture one spoonful at a time (use a large spoon).
5. Once all the flour is mixed in, add the baking powder, baking soda, salt and pinch of cinnamon and mix until combined.
6. Heat a large griddle over medium heat.
7. Once the griddle is ready, give it a spray of cooking spray. Using a large soup ladle, ladle one spoonful of batter onto the hot griddle. Immediately sprinkle with 6 – 7 blueberries.
8. Let the pancakes cook until the bubbles on the top start bursting. Flip the pancake over and cook for another minute.
Note: If your pancakes are getting too brown on the bottom before flipping time, try turning your burner down to low-medium.
9. Serve immediately with syrup.
For more delicious recipes, check out our yummy gluten free bread that will knock your socks off! >> Amazing Gluten Free White Bread Without Xanthan Gum (Plus 6 Tips for Making It)
(c) Gluten Free Bread – Read story here.